CBC licence renewals - Background information
We hope you find these resources helpful as you compose your personal letter to the CRTC on the upcoming CBC licence renewals.
CBC Statutory Mandate:
Section 3(1) of the Act sets out the mandate for the Corporation as follows:
(l) the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, as the national public broadcaster, should provide radio and television services incorporating a wide range of programming that informs, enlightens and entertains;
(m) the programming provided by the Corporation should
- be predominantly and distinctively Canadian,
- reflect Canada and its regions to national and regional audiences, while serving the special needs of those regions,
- actively contribute to the flow and exchange of cultural expression,
- be in English and in French, reflecting the different needs and circumstances of each official language community, including the particular needs and circumstances of English and French linguistic minorities,
- strive to be of equivalent quality in English and in French,
- contribute to shared national consciousness and identity,
- be made available throughout Canada by the most appropriate and efficient means and as resources become available for the purpose, and
- reflect the multicultural and multiracial nature of Canada;
(n) where any conflict arises between the objectives of the Corporation set out in paragraphs (l) and (m) and the interest of any broadcasting undertaking of the Canadian broadcasting system, it shall be resolved in the public interest, and where the public interest would be equally served by resolving the conflict in favour of either, it shall be resolved in favour of the objectives set out in paragraphs (l) and (m).
Information about CBC's applications to place ads on Radio 2/Espace Musique:
- Aug 29, 2012 - Vancouver Sun: Ads on CBC Radio are as out of place as condos in Stanley Park by Ian Morrison
- April 20, 2012 - CBC Letter: Application by CBC/Radio-Canada to amend the radio licences of Radio 2 and Espace Musique to permit national advertising
- April 4, 2012 - CBC Letter: Application to amend the radio licences of Radio 2 and Espace Musique to permit national advertising
A new major public opinion research study shows continued strong support for the CBC and that more Canadians trust the Conservative party than any other to handle matters of national culture and identity.
Detailed information on CBC's applications: