People’s Pick for CBC Chair
Apr 30, 2012
The Rt. Hon. Stephen Harper, PC, MP
Prime Minister of Canada
80 Wellington Street
Ottawa, ON K1A 0A2
Dear Mr. Harper:
I am writing to bring to your attention the results of the People’s Pick for CBC Chair, an online vote sponsored by Friends of Canadian Broadcasting to underscore the need to end the practice of appointing CBC’s leadership through political patronage.
Friends' supporters suggested dozens of Canadians with the credentials to chair CBC's Board of Directors. Of these, the names of the following eight distinguished Canadians were placed on an online ballot for the People’s Pick:
- Herménégilde Chiasson, noted Acadian poet and playwright and former Lieutenant-Governor of New Brunswick
- The Right Honourable Joe Clark, former Prime Minister of Canada
- Jocelyn Coté-O’Hara, telecom and high technology businessperson
- Ujjal Dosanjh, former Premier of British Columbia
- John Doyle, Globe and Mail media columnist
- Ivan Fecan, former CBC executive and CEO of CTV GlobeMedia
- The Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, former Governor General of Canada
- Mary Simon, National Inuit leader
I am pleased to inform you that The Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean received the strongest support.
While these names may not be on the government’s appointments list, they are but a small sample of the talent this country has to offer as leader of the governance of our national public broadcaster.
To safeguard the CBC’s independence and to bring Canada on-side with the arms-length appointments process in other democratic countries for selecting the Chairs of national public broadcasters, I urge you to submit this appointment, and all appointments to leadership positions of our national public broadcaster to a non-partisan and non-patronage process, and also to give CBC’s Board the responsibility to engage and hold accountable the CBC’s President.
Assistant Secretary to the Cabinet (Senior Personnel),
Privy Council Office,
59 Sparks Street, 1st Floor,
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0A3,
Mr. Thomas Mulcair, Leader
Mr. Bob Rae, Leader
Liberal Party of Canada
Apr 30, 2012 — News Release: Michaëlle Jean is the People’s Pick for CBC Chair
FRIENDS says the CBC belongs to all Canadians and its leadership positions should be open to the best and brightest citizens, not just those on the government’s patronage pay-off list
Full People's Pick results can be found at: www.friends.ca/peoplespick