Friends of Canadian Broadcasting commissioned a major public opinion research study from political scientists Peter Loewen (University of Toronto) and Daniel Rubenson (Ryerson University on Canadians' views on public broadcasting. Loewen and Rubenson in turn commissioned Angus Reid/Vision Critical to field the survey to 2,022 Canadians online. The margin of error is +/- 2.18%, 19 times out of 20.
Here are some highlights:
- 69% of Canadians would advise their MP to vote for maintaining or increasing funding to the CBC, while 17% would advise reducing it
- 77% give the CBC high ratings for its job of "informing, enlightening and entertaining" Canadians
- 68% Think CBC does a good job on its mandate to reflect Canada's regions
- 74% think the CBC is important for protecting Canadian identity and culture
- 52% of Canadians believe that Prime Minister Harper's government has a hidden agenda favouring private broadcasters
- 50% believe the Harper government is underfunding the CBC in order to privatize it
Further details available at http://www.friends.ca/press-release/10454.